Audio: Who is in Control? Wealth and Wisdom
Take Action on This Issue
It's always difficult to find just a few minutes from Pastor Efrem's sermons to highlight on the blog. With this sermon, it was impossible. So for a change, here's the entire sermon, in which he preaches from Proverbs 3 and talks about:
- Flipping channels between Rush Limbaugh at the Conservative Political Action Conference and Al Sharpton at the State of the Black Union, and one voice between the two events that offered real wisdom.
- Personal financial discipline based on biblical wisdom.
- Your resources are God's -- given to you to manage to advance God's kingdom.
- Do not disconnect what is going on at a national policy level from our personal financial discipline and vice versa.
- One way to measure the depth of your journey with God is to look at how you handle material things.
- If we're in deep covenant relationship with God, we will receive wisdom in how to handle money.
- God is the owner of everything and is our ultimate provision.
- God's biblical promises of provision should be seen from a community perspective -- not from an individualistic or materialistic standpoint.
- Financial challenge can be a time of sinking into personal depression or gaining better stewardship and discipline based on kingdom values.
- In Hebrew scripture, Wisdom has a feminine aspect which can help to deconstruct sexist prejudices.
- "I'm being honest with you. Efrem Smith wants a big TV."
- Godly stewardship and discipline leads to generosity and integrity
Efrem Smith is the senior pastor of The Sanctuary Covenant Church, with the vision to be an urban, multi-ethnic, relevant, holistic, and Christ-centered community. He has held leadership positions in organizations such as the Boys and Girls Club of America and Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and is the author of numerous articles and books, including The Hip-Hop Church.