"Voting Our Values: A Moral Agenda to Unite Americans" Campaign to be Unveiled on Monday, September 18th
For Immediate Release
Friday, September 18, 2006
Jack Pannell, 202/745-4614
Elise Elzinga , 202/745-4625
“VOTING OUR VALUES: A MORAL AGENDA TO UNITE AMERICANS” CAMPAIGN TO BE UNVEILED ON MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 18TH
PROGRESSIVE CHRISTIAN CAMPAIGN TO MOBILIZE MILLIONS OF VALUES VOTERS FOR MID-TERM ELECTIONS TO BE LAUNCHED; CAMPAIGN TO CHALLENGE THE CHRISTIAN RIGHT’S “VALUES VOTER” MYTH BEGINS ON EVE OF RELLIGIOUS RIGHT SUMMIT.
Washington, D.C.----(September 15, 2006) As electoral campaigns are heating up around the nation, “Values Voters” are under intense scrutiny by the media and political operatives. The Christian Right has often implicitly defined “values voters” as the powerful white evangelical Christian segment of the voting electorate. Yet, among religious voters, even among white evangelicals, there is a growing progressive Christian segment. These religious voters are the other “values voters” who are asking for a different moral agenda, beyond the narrow monologue of the Christian right about gay marriage and abortion. Over 18 months ago, Jim Wallis’ best-selling God’s Politics: Why the Left Doesn’t Get It and the Right Gets it Wrong started the conversation about faith and politics in public life. On the eve of the Christian Right’s Values Voter Summit in Washington, Jim Wallis will introduce the media to the Red Letter Christians, who are progressive religious leaders committed to speaking biblically about a moral agenda that will unite rather than divide Americans.
WHEN: Monday, September 18th, 1PM
WHERE: National Press Club, Washington, D.C.
529 14th Street, NW , 13th Floor
WHO: RED LETTER CHRISTIANS: Leading Voices of the Progressive Christian Movement: Dr. David Batstone, Professor Randall Balmer, Dr. Diana Butler Bass, Rev. Michael Battle, Rev. Barbara Taylor Brown, Rev. Tony Campolo, Shane Claiborne, Rev. Robert Franklin, Rev. Frederick D. Haynes, Rev. Tony Jones, Alexia Kelley, Rev. Brian McLaren, Amy Sullivan, Adam Taylor, Rev. Romal Tune and JIM WALLIS, founder and editor of Sojourners, best-selling author of God’s Politics
“The monologue of the Religious Right is now over, and a new dialogue has finally begun,” Jim Wallis often says. And most Americans will probably agree. This Press Conference will launch a multi-prong grassroots campaign designed to mobilize millions of progressive religious voters for the mid-term elections. The Red Letter Christians will urge faithful people to Vote Their Values and support a moral agenda that unites America. The Voting Our Values Campaign will also include:
- Media appearances, blog writings and sermons by members of the Red Letter Christians group.
- Launch of God’s Politics Blog, in partnership with Beliefnet. The first week of Blog entries will feature an exclusive on-line debate between Jim Wallis and Ralph Reed. Wallis and Reed will discuss: What should Values Voters Value Most?
- Sojourners/Call to Renewal will announce the formation of Faith and Justice Churches, a congregational network that already includes over 7,000 progressive Christian clergy in its database. By September 2007, nearly 1000 congregations will be formal members of the congregational network.
- Over 50,000 Voting God’s Politics, a voter education guide, will be distributed to assist religious voters at the polls on election day.
- October 2, 2006, Cincinnati, Ohio. Sojourners, with the Amos Project, will host Voting Our Faith 2006. This will be the only candidate forum on values with Ohio gubernatorial and Senate candidates. Fifty churches have organized 2,000 progressive religious voters for this event.
For media interviews before the press conference, please contact Jack Pannell at Sojourners/Call to Renewal.